I love miso soup, so thought it was about time I made it myself. This recipe from the Muffin Myth sounded just perfect. It’s such a comforting taste and yet so healthy – what more could you want?!
You can add whatever you like to the basic miso/stock mix (which makes it perfect for clearing out the veggies in the bottom of the fridge), but I always want some little cubes of tofu in there.
The first time I made this the kids loved it, but the next time DC1(5) decided she no longer liked it <sigh> I’ll have to try giving it to her again in a couple of months….
- 4 cups low salt vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp ginger, freshly grated
- 1 Tbsp thinly sliced red chilli pepper (optional)
- 3 Tbsp miso paste
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- a handful of cubed tofu
- another 2 handfuls of chopped veg. e.g. carrots, asparagus or broccoli spears
- Place the vegetable stock, ginger, garlic, chilli pepper, and green onion in a medium pot over high heat. Bring to the boil, uncovered, then reduce to a simmer.
- Put the miso paste into a small bowl, and add a little of the stock to it. Use a fork to mash the paste into the stock, then add to the soup pot. Do not allow the broth to return to a boil!
- Add the tofu & veg to the pot. Allow them to heat through for a few minutes so the vegetables cook just slightly.
Like this? How about: