I was intrigued by how this creamy bean soup could be vegan & was surprised to learn that the creamyness actually comes from ground up cashews! Note: these need soaking for several hours before cooking – don’t forget!
The original recipe used coconut oil, but as I don’t have any I just used olive oil.
Both DH & I liked it, but the kids didn’t – they just ate the butterbeans & demanded more bread!
Creamy White Bean Soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chopped basil
- 1½ tsp dried sage
- 3½ cups low salt vegetable stock
- 3 cups white beans (cooked or canned)
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup water
- 5 cups shredded kale
- Salt & Pepper
- warm crusty bread
- Soak cashews in water for 6-8 hours. Drain, rinse and set aside until ready to make the soup.
- Heat some oil in a large saucepan & Sauté onions and garlic
- Add the basil, sage, salt, stock, beans, and tomatoes.
- Simmer, covered, for about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the soaked cashews and water in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the cashew cream and kale to the soup and mix to combine.
- Cover and turn the heat off. Let it sit for about five minutes.
Like this? How about:
- Japanese Tofu Bowl
- Creamy White Bean Soup
- Curried Red Lentil Soup with Chickpeas and Quinoa
- Quick Tomato soup