A few weeks ago the unthinkable happened….. I got bored of hummus! <gasp!> I couldn’t quite believe it myself, but even with a variety of additions (salad, harissa, avocado) I had eaten it so much I was bored of it!
So, an alternative was needed, and after a quick google I found this Smashed White Bean & avocado sandwich which saved the day 🙂 It’s one of those things that is so simple to make you feel a bit silly writing it down… but these days I need to write things down so I remember them!
To be perfectly honest, I’m not a huge fan of sandwiches – I tend to see them as a last resort, but they are just SO easy to make & convienient to eat at work, I usually have them a couple of times a week. My current bread of choice is Warburtons Brown Thins – just enough bread to hold the filling in, but not so much that they become too heavy & stodgy (I don’t want to fall asleep at my desk!)
White Bean and Avocado Sandwich
- 1 tin of white beans e.g. Canellini
- Extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground salt & pepper
- your favourite sandwich bread
- 2 avocados, sliced
- half a cucumber, sliced
- sprouts e.g. Alfalfa (optional)
- drain & rinse the beans & put into a bowl
- roughly mash with a potato masher or fork
- add oil, salt & pepper to taste
- make a sandwich with it & then avocado/cucumber/sprouts
Like this? How about: