I love tofu, and this recipe, where it’s served in a sticky sauce with shiitake mushrooms looked too good to miss!
It was easy to make and very tasty, so we will definately be making it again soon. I’m even considering making it for the kids – despite her dislike of cooked mushrooms I think DD1(4.5) will love the rest of it!
for the sauce
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cold water, whisked with 2 tsp cornstarch
for the tofu and vegetables
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 block of firm tofu, sliced into triangles (no need to press it)
- 2-3 small shallots, quartered
- 4-6 shiitake caps, sliced thinly
- handful or so of broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- sesame seeds
- noodles or rice
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients except for the cornstarch and water into a small bowl and set aside.
- In a pan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add in the ginger and garlic and allow to soften for a minute or two. Then, scrape the contents into a small bowl and set aside.
- Return the pan to the stove and add a little more olive oil. Increase the heat to medium, then place the tofu triangles into the pan. Allow the tofu to brown on one side for about 6 minutes, then flip and allow the other side to brown for the same amount of time. Transfer the tofu to a plate and wrap in kitchen roll.
- Next, add in the shallots to the pan. Poke them around a bit after a minute to allow the layers to separate. Add in the mushrooms, stir, then deglaze the pan with a tablespoon of water. Allow to sizzle for a minute or two, then toss in the broccoli florets and cashews. Once the broccoli is bright green after a minute or so, transfer the pan contents to another plate.
- Now return the tofu to the pan. Whisk together the sauce, then pour it over the tofu. Stir gently to combine. Stir the water and cornstarch together in a small bowl until combined, then pour into the pan, stir and allow to slightly thicken, then remove from the heat immediately.
- Place cooked noodles or rice into a bowl. Add the vegetables and other reserved components to the bowl, then place the tofu triangles over everything, using a spatula to scrape any leftover sauce out of the pan. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, then serve immediately.
Like this? How about: