It was the alfalfa that made me want to make this salad, & I thought the kids would love the roasted carrots.
Unfortunately, they didn’t. Neither DD1(4.5) or DD2(2) liked the carrots (DD1 said they were too spicy) or were particularly impressed by the alfalfa. They were also very disapointed by the lack of avocado (one was over-ripe & the other under-ripe!) They both liked the sunflower seeds and yogurt dressing. DD1 ate lots of rocket & DD2 loved the djion dressing (on bread).
DH & I both really liked it, but even though I doubled up the recipe, there wasn’t really enough for us – perhaps the missing avocados made all the difference?
- 2-3 carrots, washed and cut into batons
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 dried chillies
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 2 handfuls salad leaves
- Sunflower seeds, toasted
- 2 tbsps yogurt mixed with 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Parboil the carrots for 2 minutes
- Drizzle the carrots with the honey, cumin, chilli and a trickle of oil. Roast for about 30 minutes until cooked through. Set aside.
- Meanwhile combine the yogurt with the cumin and some chopped coriander – set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, dijon mustard, oil and seasoning. Set aside.
- Arrange a large handful of salad leaves on each plate and drizzle with dressing.
- Scatter the carrots and avocado on top, again drizzling with dressing.
- Sprinkle the alfalfa and seeds over the top and finish with a dollop of coriander yogurt and a few coriander leaves placed on top.