The original recipe had chocolate which I decided not to include, I also missed out the orange zest (because I didn’t have any). I prepped it up the night before, so made sure the banana was all covered with the rest of the mix so it didn’t turn brown. DH put it in the oven when he made the cups of tea in the morning, and I totally forgot about sprinkling some sugar on top and popping under the grill at the end.
Neither DD1 (4.5) or DD2 (1.10) liked it 😦 DH loved it & I thought it was ok. It reminded me of the underneath bit of crumble that goes all soggy. When I said this to DH, he agreed & said that was exactly why it was so nice. I’m not convinced, but perhaps I’d like it more as a pudding with custard?
- 2 cups (175 grams) old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup (70 grams) packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice (you can substitute cinnamon)
- 1/2 cup (55 grams) walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup (125 grams) sliced strawberries
- 2 cups (473 ml) milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ripe banana, peeled, 1/2-inch slices
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Generously spray the inside of a 10-1/2 by 7 inch baking dish (or 8-inch by 8-inch square baking dish) with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, Chinese five spice, salt, half the walnuts, half the strawberries and half the chocolate. Add to prepared baking dish. Arrange the remaining strawberries, walnuts and chocolate on top of the oats. Then, scatter the banana slices.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla extract. Then, pour over oats and fruit. Gently shimmy and shake the baking dish to help the milk mixture go throughout the oats.
- Bake oatmeal for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the milk mixture has set. For an extra tasty top, sprinkle a tablespoon or so of extra brown sugar on top then put under the grill for 20-30 seconds.