Cousin Clare brought a big box of these along to our holiday last month & they were delicious! She got the recipe from the honey buns blog which I will be having a good nose about on later!
I couldn’t get any unwaxed oranges or orange oil from my supermarket, so took a gamble & made them without, and got away with it. I did put 1tsp of Almond Extract in just in case it needed some oil.
They were really easy to make & were very yummy. I suspect they would have been everso-slightly nicer with the orange in, but I’ll have to send DH out to search for some in town next time.
- 4 organic egg whites
- 400g ground almonds
- 50g granulated sugar
- 50g ground linseed
- 1tsp orange oil [extract]
- finely grated zest of 2 oranges
- 4 tbsp of icing sugar
- 14 whole almonds
- Preheat oven to 180c/Gas4/350f
- Put baking parchment on baking sheet
- Whisk egg whites in bowl until they form stiff peaks
- Add the ground almonds, sugar, linseed, orange oil and zest. Mix together until you have a sticky dough
- Dust hands with icing sugar and divide dough into equal portions – the original recipe suggests making 14 snooker-ball sized balls, but I made more smaller ones.
- Roll into balls and roll in the icing sugar.
- Place on sheet and leave space, flatten slightly. Place a whole almond on each cookie.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden on top and mid golden underneath. Leave to cool on baking sheet and then transfer.