I got this recipe from a friend at DD1’s swimming class. It was really easy to make, although I’m not sure you really need to soak the lentils for an hour before cooking.
I played it safe & used mild chilli powder, and while DH & I thought it need more omph, both the girls both loved it, so I’ll work on increasing the spice next time I make it.
Tadka Dhal (spicy lentil soup)
- 2 cups of red lentils
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 0.5 tsp ground coriander
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 0.5 tsp chilli powder (more or less to heat liking)
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp ground gloves
- 0.5 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups of cold water
- knob of organic unsalted butter (optional)
- naan bread (optional)
- Soak the lentils for one hour and then wash thoroughly
- Heat the oil in a saucepan
- Cut the onion into small pieces and fry until golden brown
- Add all the spices and fry for 5 minutes
- Add the lentils and fry for further 5 minutes
- Add 4 cups of water and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes until lentils softened
- Add a knob of butter for richness
I have been told that this will keep in fridge for 3 days or freeze for 6 months.