I’m always on the lookout for a good lentil soup, so when I spotted this lively up yourself lentil soup I knew I would have to make it
I didn’t serve it with the saffron yogurt the original recipe suggested, and added smoky paprika – DD1 (1.5) & I both liked it, but DD2(4), refused to eat the kale & I ended up having to pick all the bits out of her bowl!
- 1 cup green French lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 cups water
- 1.5 cups of a big leafy green (chard, kale, etc), rinsed well, deveined, finely chopped
- 1tsp of your favourite spice (optional) – I used smoked paprika
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan, add the lentils, and cook for about 30-40 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy soup pot over medium heat, then add the onion and salt and saute until tender, a couple minutes.
- Stir in the spices (if using), tomatoes, lentils, and water and continue cooking for a few more minutes, letting the soup come back up to a simmer.
- Stir in the chopped greens, and wait another minute.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if need be before serving