I thought I’d have a nose through the veggie recipes on the Tesco website & found this recipe for stew. DD1(3.11) has gone right off Quorn lately (unless it’s their Fishless Fingers), but I thought I’d give it a go anyway, especially when I noticed the first comment on the recipe was someone saying they had just chucked it all in the slow cooker which is exactly what I planned to do!
So, I meant to put it on in the morning, but what with haircuts & visiting Great-Grandparents I didn’t manage to get it on until about 1230 (straight onto High). DD1 & I made the dumplings later in the afternoon when DD2 was napping – they were so easy to make I was amazed – I’m sure I remember dumplings being much more complicated than that?!
It was all cooked when we ate it at 5pm & we all thought it tasted very nice, but it was a bit watery IMO – the adding of the cornflour to the mix around 3pm didn’t seem to make any difference – perhaps it just needed to cook for a bit longer? I’ve never tried to thicken a sauce in the slow cooker before – all hints & tips welcomed!
DD1 (3.11) ate the dumplings, carrot & celery(!). DD2 (1.5) ate everything, but left quite alot of the quorn. DH ate everything. There was just about enough for 2 adults & 2 kids, but a bit more would have been nice.
Note to self: Next time, make more dumplings (everyone wanted more!), and add some more veg that DD1 will like e.g. sweet potato &/or squash, and perhaps some chickpeas/beans/tofu instead of the Quorn.
For the dumplings
- 100g self raising flour
- 50g light vegetable suet
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs (I used parsley)
- pinch salt
- ground black pepper
- 75ml milk
For the stew
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1tsp paprika
- 300g Quorn Pieces
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, chopped
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- 1tbsp cornflour, blended to a paste with a little water
- 1 bouquet garni
- Put the onion & oil into the slow cooker and stir.
- I put the slow cooker on high here because I was in a rush, but low might be more appropriate for you.
- Add the paprika & Quorn pieces.
- Add the celery, carrots and mushrooms
- Stir well & add the stock.
- When the stock starts bubbling, add the cornflour paste & the bouquet garni
- Make the dumplings by sieving the flour into a bowl, stir in the suet. Add the herbs, salt and pepper and mix to a smooth, elastic dough with the milk. Divide the mixture into 10-12 small pieces and roll into small balls.
- About an hour before you want to eat, turn up to high (if it isn’t already)
- about 30mins before you want to eat, add the dumplings.
Like this? How about: