Have you ever tried frozen fruit? I always thought it sounded a bit odd, but we thought we’d give it a go as both DH & I have got very, very bored with breakfast lately. We’ve been having it with either greek yogurt or pancakes & although it’s not great, it’s not awful.
I do always seem to have about half a pack left over every week though, so this week I thought I would try baking with the left over strawberries. After spending ages googling for recipes that only needed one egg (all I had in the fridge), I ended up just putting them into my usual Banana & Oatmeal muffin mix & they turned out really well!
DH & I were very restrained – the smell from the kitchen was fabulous, but we only had one each, before they got put into the freezer for us to eat for our breakfasts on nursery-run days.
- 200g plain flour
- 85g oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 250g defrosted strawberries, chopped
- 85g sugar
- 1 egg beaten with a fork
- 85ml milk
- 85ml vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 375 – 400F or 190 – 200 C or Gas Mark 5-6.
- Prepare muffin tin (I use 12 medium cases)
- Sift the flour, baking powder and bicarb into a large bowl. Add the salt and oats.
- In a separate bowl mix the egg, milk, oil/butter, sugar and vanilla essence. Stir in the chopped strawberries.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and mix until just combined – you should have a lumpy batter but no floury bits.
- Spoon into prepared tin – cases should be about 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 20 – 25 mins, until reasonably firm when pressed and golden brown.