I asked DD1 to look through my River Cottage Veg book & choose things she would like to eat & this was one of the ones she chose.
It was easy to make & the girls loved it – it needs more than 300g squash though – I have 3 portions of the chickpeas & sauce to go into the freezer, but no squash as we ate it all!
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger
- 100g red lentils
- 400g chickpeas
- 8 saffron strands, toasted & crushed
- 500ml passata
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped corriander
- 300g squash
- 1.2 litres low salt veg stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 50g vermicelli or other small pasta
- Heat the oil in the large saucepan. Add the onions & saute until turning golden. turn the heat down & add the garlic, celery pepper, turmeric, cinnamon & ginger. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the lentils, chickpeas, saffron, passata, parsley & half the corriander. Cook over a low heat for 15min
- peel & deseed the squash & cut into large cubes. add to the pan with the stock & bay leaf. cover & simmer gently for about 30min
- add the pasta & simmer until it’s cooked.
- serve immediately, scattered with the rest of the corriander.