DD1 (3.8) saw a picture of this in my vegsoc magazine & asked to have it for lunch. Although they do stock some other (very tasty looking) “Amy’s Kitchen” meals at my local supermarket, they don’t do this one, so I will have to make something similar looking instead.
At first glance, I thought it was just pasta & red pepper, but the website informs me it actually contains “..freshly harvested broccoli, julienned carrots, potatoes, red sweet peppers, baked tofu and tender gluten free fusilli pasta immersed in a creamy mature Cheddar cheese sauce”
Both the DDs loved it!
- 125g pasta
- red pepper
- 2 carrots
For the cheese sauce
- 50 g VEGETARIAN mature Cheddar, grated
- 250 ml milk
- 20 g plain flour
- 20 g butter
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- a little freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C & put the grill on.
- Drain the tofu by wrapping in paper towels or tea towels.
- Roast the peppers:
- grill under medium heat, turning frequently, as necessary, until the entire pepper skin has turned black and blistery.
- Remove from oven and place peppers into an airtight container such as a bowl with a lid, or a plastic or paper bag.
- Let the peppers rest in the container for 10 to 15 minutes to build up steam that is needed to aid in the removal of the pepper skin.
- Remove from container and peel off the skin.
- Cut the pepper in half, core and remove seeds.
- Bake the tofu
- Cut tofu into (1-inch) cubes and arrange them in a single layer on a large parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Lightly spray tofu all over with cooking spray and bake, flipping halfway through, until golden brown and just crisp, about 40 minutes total.
- Prepare the veg
- Put the pasta on & steam the veg until tender (~10mins)
- Meanwhile, make the sauce;
- place the milk, flour, butter and cayenne pepper into a medium saucepan and place it over a gentle heat. Then, using a balloon whisk, begin to whisk while bringing it to a gentle simmer.
- Whisk continually until you have a smooth, glossy sauce, and simmer very gently for 5 minutes.
- Then add the cheeses and whisk again, allowing them to melt.
- Then season with salt, freshly milled black pepper and some freshly grated nutmeg.
- Mix the pasta, tofu & sauce together abd serve with the veg