I asked DH for suggestions for a weekend lunch & he suggested a pasta bake.
I’ve always been a bit sneery about pasta bakes – what’s the point of dirtying all those pans cooking the pasta & sauce, and then dirtying a dish in the oven too? But, DH was going to cook & wash up, so I thought
he we should give it a go.
DH seemed to rustle it up quite quickly (I was busy playing lego), and I was surprised to find I really liked it! DH & DD1 (3.8) both liked it too, but DD2 (14m) didn’t seem that keen, but I’m starting to suspect that she’s not that keen on pasta <gulp>
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- few dashes VEGETARIAN Worcestershire sauce (we like Henderson’s Relish)
- 100g penne or other tube-shaped pasta
- 50g VEGETARIAN cheese, grated
- 2 slices of bread made into breadcrumbs
- 4 VEGETARIAN frankfurters, sliced (we like the Tescos & Quorn ones best)
- salad or green veg
- Heat the oil in a medium pan and fry the onion for 5 mins until softened and lightly golden. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further min. Mix in the tomatoes and sugar, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins. Add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce and season to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta & frankfurters according to pack instructions.
- Heat the grill to high. Mix together the cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Drain the pasta and stir into the sauce.
- Slice the frankfurters and add to the sauce.
- Spoon the sauce into a heatproof dish. Scatter over the cheesy crumbs and grill for 3-5 mins or until bubbling hot and golden.
- Serve with a simple salad.