How on earth has DD1 reached 3.5 years old without us ever making fairy cakes together? (Please don’t report me to social services)
She saw a picture of some in a magazine last weekend & asked to make some. So we did.
- 115g unsalted butter
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 115g self-raising flour
- 125g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp warm water
- Sprinkles to decorate
- Get the butter out of the fridge
- pre-heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas mark 5
- put 12 paper bun cases into a bun tin
- Put the butter & sugar in a large bowl & cream them together using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until pale & fluffy
- Gradually add the eggs, beating well as you go.
- Fold in the flour lightly & evenly using a metal spoon
- Divide the mixture between the bun cases & bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 mins
- Put the kettle on
- Cool on a wire rack
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, add 1 tbsp warm water (from the kettle) and mix to a smooth paste – add more water or icing sugar if needed.
- Decorate the cakes with the icing sugar & add sprinkles as required.