I picked up a copy of Celia Brooks Brown‘s ‘New Vegetarian’ in my local supermarket years & years ago, and love it. This gravy is delicious, the only question is, will DD1 touch the gravy as it contains the dreaded mushroom????!
- veggie sausages
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 50g mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250ml low salt vegetable stock
- 125ml port or other fortified wine, or just more stock (optional)
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Put the sausages & potatoes on
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and fry until golden. Add the herbs and mushrooms and cook until softened (about five minutes).
- Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring, for about two minutes. Stir in the port or wine, vegetable stock and soy sauce and simmer, stirring, until the gravy has thickened slightly (3-5 minutes).
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Pour the gravy into a jug.
- Mash the potatoes