Both the DDs seem to be enjoying the savoury muffins I’ve been making lately, so here’s another variation from another poster on mumsnet.
I was particularly excited about making these as I had just got my new silicon muffin tray & was desparate to try it out. I was very surprised to see on the packaging that you still had to grease the tray? Huh? I had assumed the magic of silicon would mean I didn’t have to do that! The muffins turned out ok, maybe not quite so cooked around the base, but as I haven’t made this before it was difficult to tell. DD1 refused to eat them, but I think she was just in one of those moods, but DH moaned & moaned about cleaning the muffin tray afterwards – he says that because it’s so floppy, it’s really difficult to scrub properly! I’ll try it out again, but I can’t risk upsetting my washer-upper!
- 250g plain flour
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 100g parsnip (approx 1), grated
- 100g carrot (approx 1), grated
- 70g strong cheese, grated
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 free-range eggs
- 150ml oil
- 200ml milk
- pre-heat oven to 190oc/375of/gas 5
- line or grease 12 muffins
- mix flour,powder and nutmeg
- stir in carrots, parsnips and cheese
- mix oil, milk and eggs in a jug
- fold “wet” into”dry” lightly with a fork
- spoon into cases.
- bake 20-25mins til golden and springy to touch
These freeze well in bags or boxes
reheat from frozen to serve warm-190oc/375of/gas5 for 20mins