- 25g butter or vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tbsp vegetarian sherry or white wine
- 200ml double or soya cream (Soya Dream, from health-food shops)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt, pepper and grated nutmeg
- 1-2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large pan, melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the onion, cover and cook gently until soft – about seven minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic, and cook for five minutes, until they are buttery and getting soft.
- Pour in the sherry or wine and cream and let it bubble away for 10 minutes, until the liquid has reduced and thickened to a sauce.
- Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste. Serve on the rice, and top with chopped parsley.