Courtesy of chaotic from mumsnet.
Everyone loved these 🙂
- 350g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- 2tsp english mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (or paprika, but I like the slight ‘kick’ of cayenne myself)
- 1tsp thyme leaves (I have used fresh and dried in the past, both taste good)
- 50g cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 175g mature cheddar, grated
- 250g sweetcorn (drained weight)
- 175ml semi-skimmed milk
- juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 220C (fan 200C) gas mark 7
- Mix flour, baking powder, mustard, caenne or paprika, salt and thyme together in a large bowl, then add the butter and rub in until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Tip in most of the cheese (but reserve some to top the scones) and all of the sweetcorn.
- Mix the milk and lemon juice, then add to the mixture and stir in, it should be a slightly sticky dough.
- Knead the dough 2-3 times on a loured work surface but don’t over work the dough. Divide into 10 balls, shape them roughly by hand and place on a floured baking sheet. Brush each one with a little milk then top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle with a little cayenne or paprika.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes unitl they are risen, golden and sound hollow if you tap the underneath (mine took more like 15 yesterday you just have to keep an eye on them)
- Cool on a rack and then devour with lashings of butter