WARNING! This is work-in-progress! Any suggestions you have as to how I can improve it would be appreciated!
I wanted to make a risotto in the slow cooker like this, but using frozen mixed veg so I could rustle it up when I had no other food in the house.
This is my second attempt, there’s still too much food for DD2(9m) & me to have for lunch (although we did struggle through most of it!), but I’m now sure that the rice takes 45mins to cook in my slow cooker, so bear in mind that yours may be different, and that every time you take the lid off to check, you loose quite alot of heat….
It came out quite sticky, which was great for DD2 as I could make it into little balls for her to hold, but might not be to your liking. It also needs more flavour. I think next time (this is a reminder for me) I should: add herbs (I was avoiding them as DD1 doesn’t like ‘bits’), put a bit less rice in, and put the rice in earlier. The veg was cooked after it had been in for an hour, perhaps put the rice & veg in together next time?
- 500ml veg stock
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 0.5 a small onion or 3 spring onions, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150g frozen mixed veg
- 150g arborio rice
- 35g vegetarian parmasan or strong cheddar
- Put the stock and oil into the slow cooker & put on High.
- After 5 mins, add the spring onion, garlic and frozen veg to the slow cooker
- After 30mins, add in the rice and cook on high for about 45mins or until the rice is cooked.
- Add more stock or water during the cooking time if it needs it.
- Add in the cheese and stir.