Continuing the run of tofu dishes in the slow cooker, this week it’s going to be in Kung Po sauce.
- 0.5 pack firm tofu, drained
- 4 cups fresh vegetables (e.g. 2 peppers, carrots, and broccoli)
- 0.5 white onion, chopped
for the sauce
- 1 tbsp seasoned oil
- 1 small onion cut into chunks
- 1 small green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 small carrot, cut into thin julienne strips
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp low salt soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
- 100ml low salt stock or water
- 1 tbsp thin cornflour paste
- drain the tofu
- To make the sauce: Heat the oil, add the vegetables and stir fry for about 1 minute, then add add all the ingredients with the stock or water and bring to the boil. Add the cornflour paste gradually a little at a time to thicken the sauce to the desired consistency. Resist the urge to make it too thick, it will reduce more in the slow cooker!
- Fry the tofu – it should get a really nice crispy coating
- While the tofu is cooking, chop your onion & vegetables and add to the slow cooker.
- When the tofu is done, add it to the slow cooker.
- Then pour the sauce on top of the tofu and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for about 3 hours.
- Serve with rice