DH & I both love Kung Po dishes from our local Chinese restaurant, so I thought I’d have a go at the sauce myself.
- 1 tablespoon seasoned oil
- 1 small onion cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 small green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 small carrot, cut into thin julienne strips
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder (or to taste)
- 4 fl oz (100ml) stock or water
- 1 tablespoon thin cornflour paste
- Heat the oil, add the vegetables and stir fry for about 1 minute, then add add all the ingredients with the stock or water and bring to the boil.
- Add the cornflour paste gradually a little at a time to thicken the sauce to the desired consistency.
- Stir well and Serve.