This is another great recipe from the HFW Veg Every Day book I got at christmas. DD1(3), DD2(9m), and I all loved it. DH was gutted there was none left for him to try when he got home.
I can see us eating this quite often as we will always have all the ingredients to hand, it’s quick and easy to make, and very very tasty!
The eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed that there is no macaroni in the picture…. that’s because DD1 has gone off it, so we had animal shaped pasta instead!
Serves 1 adult & 2 kids
- 250g frozen peas
- 150g macaroni (or your favourite pasta)
- 25g butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 20g strong vegetarian cheese, grated
- shredded basil or parsley (optional)
- Put a pan of water on ready for the pasta (I use the bottom of my steamer for this)
- Put the peas on (I do mine in the steamer)
- When the peas are almost cooked, add the pasta to the boiling water
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in another pan & add the garlic – cook gently for a couple of minutes, without colouring, then remove from the heat.
- When the peas are cooked, drain (saving the water), and put about half of them in a blender along with 6tbsp of the cooking water (I used the water from the steamer), the butter and garlic. Blitz to a smooth puree adding more water if needed.
- Put the puree back in the pan & add the cheese.
- When the cheese has melted, add the whole peas
- Drain the pasta as soon as it’s ready & mix with the hot pea sauce.
- Serve topped with ground pepper & more cheese if required. Shredded basil or parsley would probably be nice too.