From Baby & Child Vegetarian Recipes. I increased the amounts used in the original recipe as it used half an onion/pepper etc & I didn’t want the remainder sitting in the fridge. We also added a tin of tomatoes to give it a bit more sauce.
DD2 (8m) & I had this for lunch, & both enjoyed it, although she struggled a bit with the kidney bean skins (they did seem very tough). I started off just mashing the beans, but ended up pureeing it. I could barely taste the paprika, so will add more than a pinch next time.
We had this again recently, DD2 (now 1.9) loved it & was ramming it into her mouth as fast as she could. DD1 (4) currently doesn’t like cooked peppers, or mushrooms, so I picked her out some carrot, potato & kidney beans & she was happy.
- 1 tbsp veg oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded & finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded & finely chopped
- 0.25 – 0.5 tsp mild paprika
- 200g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled & diced
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin red kidney beans, washed & drained
- 200g basmati rice
- 4 tbsp natural yoghurt (optional)
- heat the oil, add the onion, carrot, peppers and paprika and fry gently until softened but not browned.
- add the mushrooms, cover and cook gently for 15 mins
- add the potato, tomato puree and drained beans and allow to simmer for 30mins or until the potato is very tender, adding a water as required
- cook the rice
- if serving to a baby, you might like to mix the cooked veg, rice & yogurt together (puree or mash if required)