I’m looking for more bean & lentil recipes that the DDs will eat, so thought I’d try something from Rose Elliot‘s Bean Book.
Both the DDs love spaghetti (admittedly, at 8 months old, DD2 just thinks it’s fun to play with) so this looked like a good option.
It was ok. To be honest I was slightly disappointed, but looking at the ingredients I’m not sure what else I was expecting. I think I slightly overcooked it, as it was all very mushy (ideal for DD2), so I should probably try again – some stock instead of plain water might help.
UPDATE: this recipe turned out much better!
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 0.5 tsp dried basil or oragano
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 225g split red lentils, washed
- 400ml water
- 2 tbsp red wine (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
- 225g spaghetti
- 15g butter
- grated cheese
- green salad
- heat oil in pan
- add onion & garlic, and cook until tender (about 10min)
- add tomatoes, herbs, cinnamon, lentils, water & wine
- bring to the boil, then simmer with a lid on for about 25min until the lentils are cooked
- about 10mins before the lentils will be done, put the spaghetti on
- when the sauce is ready, season with salt & pepper
- when the spaghetti is done, drain, add the butter & season with black pepper
- put the spaghetti on the plates & put the sauce on top.
- sprinkle with grated cheese & serve with a green salad