Continuing the run of tofu dishes in the slow cooker, this week it’s going to be in Black Bean Sauce.
- 1 pack firm tofu, drained
- 4 cups fresh vegetables (e.g. 2 peppers, carrots, and broccoli)
- 0.5 white onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
for the sauce
- 2 cans of black beans, undrained
- 2 tbs. peanut oil
- 2 tbs. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated orange rind
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tbs. rice vinegar or sherry
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- drain the tofu
- To make the sauce: Heat a pan & add the oil. When it’s hot add the garlic and the beans.
- Stir fry the mixture quickly for about 10 seconds.
- Add the soy sauce, grated orange rind, grated ginger root, oregano, cumin, red pepper flakes and rice vinegar and cook the mixture until the sauce thickens, about a minute.
- fry the tofu – it should get a really nice crispy coating
- While the tofu is cooking, chop your onion & vegetables and add to the slow cooker.
- When the tofu is done, add it to the slow cooker.
- Then pour the sauce on top of the tofu and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for about 3 hours.
- Serve with rice