- 1 pack firm tofu, drained
- 4 cups fresh vegetables (e.g. 2 peppers, carrots, and broccoli)
- 0.5 white onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
for the sauce
- 1 tbsp low salt soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 3 tbsp Dry sherry
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- drain the tofu
- To make the sauce, Mix the ingredients together and chill. (Prepare only when required)
- Put the drained tofu in a Tupperware box with 1tbsp cornstarch & shake until the tofu is covered (you may need to do this in batches)
- then fry the tofu – it should get a really nice crispy coating
- While the tofu is cooking, chop your onion & vegetables and add to the slow cooker.
- When the tofu is done, add it to the slow cooker.
- Then pour the sauce on top of the tofu and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for about 3 hours.
- Serve with rice
This was nice, but not as good as the sweet & sour. We only had sweet chili dipping sauce in the cupboard – I suspect the recipe requires something with a bit more oomph!
I also did half the tofu with the cornflour coating & half without. Although it gives the tofu a nice crispy coating, it gets all soggy once in the sauce, so a pointless waste of time IMO