This was really quick to make, I had it all in the slow cooker in under 20mins! This recipe should serve 4 as halving the quantities is plenty for me & DH.
The original recipe was far too sweet for us, so I reduced the 8tbsp sugar to just 4tbsp, and although the sauce seems perfectly thick when I add it to the slow cooker, once it gets mixed up with the water from the veggies it gets really runny.
Note for me: Next time either try making the sauce ridiculously thick or, propping the lid of the slow cooker open to loose some of the moisture from the veggies.
- 1 pack firm tofu, drained
- 4 cups fresh vegetables (e.g. 2 peppers, carrots, and broccoli)
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
for the sauce
- 240ml rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp cornstarch mixed with 8 tsp water
- Drain the tofu
- To make the sauce, mix the vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, and soy sauce together and bring to a boil in a small pan . Mix together the cornstarch and water, add to the other ingredients and stir to thicken.
- Put the drained tofu in a Tupperware box with 1tbsp cornstarch & shake until the tofu is covered (you may need to do this in batches)
- Then fry the tofu – it should get a really nice crispy coating
- While the tofu is cooking, chop your onion & vegetables and add to the slow cooker.
- When the tofu is done, add it to the slow cooker.
- Then pour the sauce on top of the tofu and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for about 3 hours.
- Serve with rice