These are based on mamacook’s Savoury Broccoli and Red Onion Welsh Cakes, but DC1 renamed them star cakes for obvious reasons 🙂
I made these for DC2 when she was around 9months old & I was trying to get her interested in finger foods – it worked 🙂
Update: DC3 (8m) has just given them his seal of approval too 🙂
This has made a great last minute meal a few times as I almost always have everything in the cupboard (omiting the red onion &/or mustard seems to be permissable)
- 1 small red onion (optional)
- 60g broccoli (you can use the stalk too if you want!)
- Spray oil or additional oil or butter
- 225g Self Raising flour
- 75g unsalted butter
- 75g mature Vegetarian cheddar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp full fat greek yoghurt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- Finely chop the broccoli & onion
- Fry the onion and broccoli in the spray oil or butter until softened. Allow to cool.
- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the onion and broccoli, cheese and chopped parsley and mix.
- Add in the mustard, yoghurt and egg and bring together into a dough.
- Roll out on a floured surface until just over half a cm thick.
- Heat a non stick pan on a hob and then cut the dough into pieces.
- Cook a few ‘cakes’ in the pan at a time at a medium to low heat until they have formed a good crust on one side (takes a couple of minutes) and turn over. They will puff up a little when they cook, check they’re fully cooked.
- Turn out onto a plate and continue cooking the remainder.
- Allow to cool a little before serving
You can apparently freeze them & defrost from frozen in a microwave but we have never had any left over to try