based on a Rose Elliot recipe
right… i’ve got DD1 eating a very basic stir-fry lets try her with some sweet & sour sauce
- 2 portions noodles
- 4 tsp toasted sesame oil or plain cooking oil if you can’t get it (not olive)
- 250-300g/8-10oz packet firm tofu, drained and sliced long ways into 2-3 ‘steaks’, depending on thickness of slab
- some veg e.g.
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 courgette, cut into matchsticks
- 125g/4oz mange tout, halved
- 8 spring onions, sliced
- ½ tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 1 tsp castor sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Boil kettle for noodles.
- Heat 2 tsp of sesame oil in a frying pan or wok, add tofu ‘steaks’ and fry on both sides until crisp and golden brown. This will take about 4-5 minutes on each side and you may need to do it in two batches, depending on size of pan, so do it before you begin work on vegetables. Alternatively, to brown all sides of the tofu, chop into cubes and gently turn pieces around four times until golden.
- Cook noodles in pan of boiling water for required time on packet, drain in cold water and set aside.
- While tofu is cooking, mix together sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat remaining sesame oil in a wok and add all vegetables.
- Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until heated through but still crunchy.
- Once tofu cooked, remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Give sauce a quick stir then pour into wok and stir until thickened.
- Slice tofu into small pieces, add to pan and stir until coated with sauce.
- Heat noodles through gently and serve sweet & sour veggies with them.