I was looking for something quick, easy & ricey when I found this recipe for mushroom & rice onepot on the BBC Good Food site.
- 200g basmati rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 tsp chopped rosemary or 1 tsp dried
- 250g chestnut mushrooms , quartered
- 2 red peppers , sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 425ml vegetable stock
- handful parsley , chopped
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5.
- Tip the rice into a sieve, rinse under cold running water, then leave to drain.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole, add the onion, then fry until softened, about 5 mins.
- Stir in the rosemary and mushrooms, then fry briefly.
- Add the rice, stir to coat in the oil, then add the peppers, tomatoes, stock and some freshly ground pepper. Bring to the boil, give it a stir, cover tightly with a lid, then bake for 20-25 mins until the rice is tender.
- Scatter over the parsley and serve.
This was very nice & easy to make. DD1 liked it (ish, I don’t think she was very hungry), and DH & I had seconds (there was stil some left, so would probably serve 4 adults).
I’d chopped the mushrooms up really small as I wasn’t sure DD1 would like them if she saw then, but I think they would have been ok.
Note to self: this made slightly too much to fit into the Pyrex dish which fits in the small oven, so next time either make less or use big oven.