6 corn tortillas
1 tin refried beans, approximately
1 cup lettuce, chopped
2 tomatoes, diced
1 avacado, diced
1 lime, zested
½ cup light sour cream
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Heat beans in a pot over medium-low heat, just until warm. Line a plate with a few paper towels.
- In a frying pan, add about 2mm oil & heat. when it’s really hot, put a tortilla into it & cook for about 30secs until lightly browned, then turn over & cook the other side. When it’s done place on the paper towels to soak up the excess oil, the pop into the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
In the meantime
- prepare lettuce, tomato, and avacado;
- stir about 1/4 tsp of lime zest into sour cream and add enough lime juice to thin sour cream into a “pourable” consistancy;
- Once all tortillas are browned, remove from oven and assemble tostada. Smear some of the refried beans on each tortilla. Top with lettuce, tomato, avacado, and sour cream-lime mixture.
The original recipe said to use alot more oil than I did.
re-reading the recipe again, i’m now wondering if I did it right – I made a big stack of tortillas sandwiched together with the refried beans… perhaps I was supposed to do them separately?
Verdict? I was unimpressed, DH wanted to know where the cheese was, DD refused to even try the tortillas or beans, but did enjoy the tomato, avocado & lettuce.
I think it’s a nice idea, but doesn’t quite work (perhaps not helped by my mis-assembly?!) – perhaps these stacked tortillas will be nicer?