based on a recipe from Annabel Karmel
- 900 ml (1 ½ pints) vegetable stock
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 40 g (1 ½ oz) butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 50 g (2 oz) red pepper, chopped
- 200 g (7 oz) arborio (risotto) rice
- 75 g (3 oz) courgette, diced
- 1 tin whole tomatoes, de-seeded & chopped
- Bring the stock to the boil and allow to simmer.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the red pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add the rice and make sure that it is well coated. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add 1 or 2 ladlefuls of hot stock and simmer, stirring, until it has been absorbed, then add another ladleful of stock.
- Continue adding the stock a little at a time and simmer until the rice absorbs the liquid before adding more, stirring frequently.
- After 10 minutes, add the diced courgette and tomato.
- When all the stock has been added and the rice is cooked (it will probably take about 20 minutes for the rice to cook through), season to taste.
This was easy to make & really nice