Serves 1 to 12
- To make the base, crumble the biscuits into a bowl, melt the margarine and add to the biscuit crumbs. Mix and press into a well-greased, 8 inch diameter flan tin. Try not to get a thick welt where the sides meet the base. Set on one side to cool.
- Put the cornflour then water in a pan – mix well. Add the golden syrup, mix more. Then (and only then) turn the heat on, stirring constantly – no, really… stire all the time & don’t take your eyes off it. Once boiling, reduce the heat and allow to thicken.
- Blend the tofu until smooth
- Add the tofu & then lemon to the cornflour mix & blend until creamy.
- Pour into the base and chill.
I almost had a disaster doing the water, cornflour & golden syrup bit – make sure you do it exactly as I say above! (the original recipe doesn’t say this & I ended up with a lumpy gloopy mix that I had to throw away)
I also had problems getting the tofu smooth, but that’s because my hand blender is on the verge of dying <sob>
After all that, neither DH or I liked this (DD did!) DH complained it wasn’t sweet enough, but it wasn’t even that lemony.
I don’t see why you need to do the water/cornflour/golden syrup thing, when this recipe thickens perfectly well by itself (perhaps it’s because of the lemon juice?)