From BBC Good Food. It’s really easy to make & takes about 30 mins in total. It makes 2 adult portions and 4 toddler portions. Add less milk if you want a really thick soup.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- handful of dried basil
- pinch baking soda
- 600ml milk
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, then tip in the onion and garlic. Cook over a moderate heat until the onion has softened, about 5 mins.
- Stir in the tomato purée, then pour in the chopped tomatoes and basil leaves, and bring up to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and leave to simmer for about 15 mins until thick and full of flavour.
- If you like a smooth soup, whizz the mixture at this point to form a smooth sauce.
- To finish the soup, tip the tomato mixture into a pan.
- Spoon the baking soda into a small bowl and pour over 1 tbsp or so of the milk. Mix together until there are no lumps, then tip into the tomato mix and pour over the milk.
- Bring up to a boil (the mixture will froth, but don’t worry – it will go away).
- Gently simmer for about 5 mins until ready to serve.