Pastry mix from “The art of the tart” by Tamasin Day-Lewis
The pasty can be made the night before & left to chill (uncooked) in the fridge
For the pastry
· 180g flour
· Pinch of salt
· 90g cold butter
· About 2 tbsp ice cold water
For the filling
· 500g onions , finely sliced
· 3 tbsp olive oil
· few sprigs thyme , leaves only
· 3 eggs
· 300ml milk
· 100g ready grated emmental
· sift the flour & salt into a mixing bowl, add the shopped butter, and with the tips of your fingers only mix the fat into the flour as quickly as you can.
· add the water bit by bit until it forms a nice ball of dough
· wrap in cling film & put in the fridge for at least 30mins
· roll the pasty out & put into the greased dish
· if you have time put it back in the fridge for another 30mins – or even overnight
· Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5.
· Put a few balls of crumpled foil in the base of the pastry case and bake on the baking sheet for 10 mins. Remove the foil and bake for 5 mins more, until light golden.
· Meanwhile, cook the onions in the oil until starting to soften, then add thyme, pepper, and salt if you want to. Cook slowly for about 15 mins until the onions are soft and tinged brown.
· Beat the eggs, beat in the milk and half the cheese and some pepper. Spread the onions over the flan case and pour in the egg mix. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and bake the tart on the baking sheet for 30-40 mins until the filling is firm and golden, and the pastry crisp. Serve warm or cold.