- half a pack of fresh firm tofu, cut into 8 triangles
- rehydrated dried shitake mushrooms (optional)
- 2 portions noodles
For the teriyaki marinade
- 75ml dark soy sauce
- 125ml mirin
- 1 tbsp sugar
For the glazed green vegetables
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 100g broccoli florets or young purple sprouting broccoli, chopped
- 1 leek, white and light green parts finely sliced
- 200g/7¼oz pak choi, quartered lengthways, or spinach, chopped
- half a fennel bulb, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 tsp cornflour mixed with 4 tbsp cold water
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced diagonally
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, pan-toasted
- To make the marinade, put the soy sauce, mirin, sake and sugar in a large frying pan and heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Add the tofu and mushrooms, if using. Simmer gently for about 15 minutes, turning the tofu over halfway through cooking.
- Transfer the tofu steaks to a lightly oiled baking dish or roasting tin. Spoon a little sauce on top and roast in a preheated oven at 220C/425F/Gas 7 for 10 minutes. Keep them warm. Using a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms from the remaining sauce, squeeze dry and slice finely. Reserve the sauce.
- To make the glazed vegetables, heat a wok until hot, then add the oil. Add the garlic, broccoli, leek and sliced mushrooms and stir fry for two minutes. Add the pak choi or spinach and the fennel. Stir fry for two minutes. Add the reserved sauce and 75ml (2½fl oz) water, stir, cover and cook for two minutes. Push the vegetables to the back of the wok, add the cornflour mixture to the bubbling juices and stir until thickened (if needed). Mix the vegetables into the sauce. Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions, then drain.
- To serve, put a nest of noodles on warmed plates and pile on the vegetables. Turn the tofu steaks over and put shiny side up on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle with spring onions and toasted sesame seeds and serve.