I am sooooo pleased that the both the girls liked this! I really like polenta, but last time I gave it to them, they weren’t that keen.
I decided to fry the polenta, because I didn’t have time to cook it in the oven. For my first serving, I used a little oil in the frying pan, but it took ages & when I turned the heat up it started smoking. When they eventually browned I served them in ‘fingers’ with some pureed sauce – DD2 (1.9) scoffed the sauce, but didn’t seem that keen on the polenta until I cut it up into smaller pieces, but DD1 loved it.
For my second serving I wiped the oil out of the pan & cooked the polenta in ‘slices’, which seemed to cook a little better, but did seem to quite quickly burn if I didn’t keep an eye on it. I served it with the sauce & topped with olives (see piccie). It was delicious! The girls liked it once I’d chopped it up into bit-sized pieces (and added some grated cheese)
We will be making this again!
- 500g ready made polenta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 0.5 teaspoon dried Italian herb mixture (this was made by DD1 – roughly 0.25tsp of each of the following)
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Basil
- Dried Rosemary
- Dried Sage
- Olives, halved
- Olive oil
- a little grated cheese (optional)
- Heat some oil in a saucpan & gently cook the onion.
- Add the garlic & cook for a minute
- Add the tinned tomatoes, bring to the boil & then reduce the heat to a simmer
- Add the herb mix & allow the sauce to reduce.
- Heat some oil (or not) in a frying pan & gently brown the sliced polenta
- Serve topped with the tomato sauce, cheese (optional) and olives.