I saw this post & thought it sounded fabulous. Then I looked closer at the ingredients list and sighed. I have a cupboard full of ingredients I have bought and used for one recipe, and am determined not to add to them this year (I’ve been doing alot of decluttering in the last few months!)
So, we improvised & it was very, very tasty! So much so, that I am ^almost^ tempted to buy the real ingredients to see if they could possibly make it taste any better! So do check out the original recipe if you have a cupboard full of Thai ingredients that need using up!
- 200g firm tofu
- 0.5 Tbsp olive oil
- 0.5 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp vegetarian red curry paste – make sure it doesn’t have fish in it!
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, cut into thin slices
- 3cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 portobello mushroom cap, cleaned with stem and gills removed, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas
- 100g rice
- Drain the water from the tofu. (I do this by wrapping it in a tea-towel)
- Prep all the veg
- Heat the oil in a wok. Cut the tofu into 1″ cubes and fry in the wok until golden brown on all sides. Drain on kitchen roll
- Put the rice on.
- Add the red curry paste to the wok, along with the chopped chilli, crushed garlic, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Bring ingredients to a boil and reduce heat to low so that the sauce is simmering.
- Add the onion to the wok. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped ginger, tofu cubes, red bell pepper, and mushroom cap pieces. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar snap peas. Continue stirring items together gently for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with the rice immediately.